Sunday, February 8, 2009

This week in the kitchen

Crispy polenta and quinoa fries with tomato sauce and zucchini
I very loosely followed the recipe highlighted above, only the microwave directions failed miserably. I ended up adding a southwestern flavor to my polenta with a can of diced roasted green chilies, and the leftover feta and cheddar jack cheeses in my fridge. I also added my new favorite ingredient: nutritional yeast, except I didn't add quite enough to taste it. The tomato sauce involved throwing some crushed tomatoes, onion, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper in a pot and cooking for a bit. This dish was really yummy, and especially yummy as leftovers with a bit of fried egg thrown in.

Soft Chocolate and Raspberry Tart
For many people, dinner parties are a great excuse to get together with friends. For me, they are a great excuse to try out a new recipe. The tart above is my second recipe from Dorie Greenspan's celebrated Baking from My Home to Yours. This was actually quite simple to make, and was a very rich, velvety chocolate experience. I chopped up the raspberries rather than leaving them whole, so that they would make a layer at the bottom of the tart. They really helped to cut the richness of the chocolate. This was almost as good as the chocolate mousse strawberry tarts at the Bourke Street Bakery in Sydney. Next time I might try to make a lighter chocolate mousse for something similar.

Detail of the chocolate and raspberry layers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi creative friend!
OOohh chocolate tart, just what i want now, breastfeeding makes me very very hungry! Especially chocolate, I think my son will remember the feeding hours everytime he will smell choclate!!+ There is an award for you on my blog.
Your

isolada. by design said...

Thank you for another link to a wonderful food blog to add variety and shape to my nutritional existence. I really must try some of these southwestern-style recipes you've posted as they suit my palate, too. Lately I've been on a barley kick!

The tart looks divine, a work or food art! Lucky those who are fortunate to share your presence at table.

Hilary said...

YUM! I feel the same way about dinner parties -- an excuse to try out new recipes, especially the sweet ones!

Rachel said...

Glad you enjoyed the Polenta-Quinoa Fries. I'm sorry your microwaving didn't work. Perhaps the energy level of our two different microwave ovens is to blame. I have a honking big microwave that does the trick, but perhaps yours is smaller.